Thursday, September 1, 2016

Lactation Cookies for The Busy Mom


I'm home on maternity leave right now with our one month old and three year old. For a nursing mom, it's a dream come true. But at the end of September, I'll be going back to teaching first grade full time. Any teacher knows that breaks in the elementary classroom are limited. When you do get a break its over by the time you check your mailbox and use the bathroom. Forget eating lunch. You learn to work while you eat without chewing. This makes the thought of pumping enough during school to take care of Thing 2 pretty stressful.

To help ease my stress, I've started pumping now. Feeding a baby and pumping to store at the same time presents its own challenges so I've looked for things to help. I stumbled upon a recipe for lactation cookies. Ummm increase supply while eating cookies? You got my attention. Every recipe I found had about 50 ingredients (so I exaggerate but it feels that way) and was made from scratch. Well....no thanks. The next option was buying the pre made mix. Twelve cookies for $19.99? And I still have to bake them? Yeah...no thanks to that too. So instead I baked up my own option and am happy to share with you my much easier version! 

Lactation Cookies For The Busy Mom


What you'll need:

1 Package oatmeal raisin or oatmeal chocolate chip cookie mix

2 tbsp flaxseed meal 

1/4 cup brewers yeast

1 tbsp wheat germ

1/4 cup vegetable oil

What you'll do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix your cookie mix according to the package directions. Add all other ingredients. Roll into 24 cookies. Bake 10 minutes. 

That's it. Easier and cheaper than from scratch! Here are the ingredients I used. 


The brewers yeast and wheat germ were hard to find. I've read you can find wheat germ in the oatmeal aisle, but I searched Walmart, Targer, Kroger and Food Lion. I couldn't find either of the ingredients so gave in and ordered on Amazon. Probably cheaper there anyway and I don't have to leave the house. These are the most important ingredients though so don't skip them. 


I used brewers yeast with reduced bitterness so the cookies were really good and even sassy toddler approved! A win for everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS